A Health & Safety Executive approved three day course that meets the current Health & Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1981.
The course is delivered in accordance with the Approved Code of Practice L74 for qualifying First Aid personnel in the workplace.
WorkSafe First Aid at Work is delivered over a minimum of three days (18 hours) and will provide students with in-depth information and skills on how to provide effective treatment and care to a person, or persons that become ill or injured whilst at work. The programme has a large emphasis on practical application of the skills learnt and ample opportunity is provided for hands-on practice in a relaxed, low stress environment.
Candidates will receive training in a wide range of first aid skills including:
- The ability to act safely and effectively when an accident or emergency occurs
- The treatment and priorities of care for an unconscious patient
- The recognition of cardiac arrest and delivery of cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
- The ability to safely and promptly treat a patient who is bleeding
- The ability to recognise and treat a patient in shock
- The keeping of simple records following an accident at work
- Students will also learn to provide care for patients who have:
- suffered a burn or scald
- injured bones, muscles or joints
- been poisoned by ingestion or inhalation of a substance or gas
- suffered an injury to the eye
- signs & symptoms of a major illness e.g. heart attack
Candidates are required to undertake an assessment of knowledge and practical skill application on the final day of the course by an approved assessor who is independent and has not taken part in any of the training.
The course follows a syllabus designed by WorkSafe Training Systems and approved by the Health and Safety Executive for certifying students as workplace first aiders and utilises the following training methods:
- Multimedia Presentations and DVD video to convey essential information.
- Lots of hands on practice in small groups monitored by the instructor.
- Continual positive encouragement from approved Instructors with a normal maximum group size of 12.
- An excellent, full colour student manual to use during the course and keep as a future reference on first aid.
- Up-to-date information presented in a relaxed learning environment.
- The opportunity to complete a course evaluation and register online with the WorkSafe website to activate automatic qualification expiry reminders and signup for industry related updates.
Successful candidates will be awarded a plastic qualification card on completion and receive a full colour A4 certificate awarded by WorkSafe Training Systems.
Due to the nature of the providing workplace first aid at this level the selection of suitable workplace first aid candidates will depend upon a number of factors. These include:
- Reliability, disposition and communication skills
- Aptitude & ability to absorb new knowledge & learn new skills
- Ability to deal with an emergency situations in a calm and controlled manner
- Normal duties: These should be such that the first aider may be able to leave their normal duties immediately to provide emergency care to an ill or injured worker
Course Duration: 3 Days (minimum 18 contact hours)
Course dates do not have to be consecutive