A Health & Safety Executive approved two-day re-qualification programme that meets the current Health & Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1981. The course is delivered in accordance with the Approved Code of Practice L74 for qualifying First Aid personnel in the workplace.
WorkSafe First Aid at Work Re-qualification is only available to students who have previously attended a full, four day First Aid at Work programme. The course instructor will need to be supplied with a copy of the previous certificate prior to attending the re-qualification programme. This certificate can be one supplied by any HSE approved supplier of First Aid at Work and should contain the providers approval number. The certificate must either be current or not have expired in excess of 30 days prior to re-qualification start date.
As with the full First Aid at Work programme there is a large emphasis on practical application of the skills learnt and ample opportunity is provided for hands-on practice in a relaxed, low stress environment.
Candidates will receive refresher training in a wide range of first aid skills including:
- The ability to act safely and effectively when an accident or emergency occurs
- The treatment and priorities of care for an unconscious patient
- The recognition of cardiac arrest and delivery of cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
- The ability to safely and promptly treat a patient who is bleeding
- The ability to recognise and treat a patient in shock
- The keeping of simple records following an accident at work
- Students will also learn to provide care for patients who have:
- suffered a burn or scald
- injured bones, muscles or joints
- been poisoned by ingestion or inhalation of a substance or gas
- suffered an injury to the eye
- signs & symptoms of a major illness e.g. heart attack
Candidates are required to undertake an assessment of knowledge and practical skill application on the final day of the course by an approved assessor who is independent and has not taken part in any of the training.
The course follows a syllabus designed by WorkSafe Training Systems and approved by the Health and Safety Executive for certifying students as workplace first aiders and utilises the following training methods:
- Multimedia Presentations and DVD video to convey essential information.
- Lots of hands on practice in small groups monitored by the instructor.
- Continual positive encouragement from approved Instructors with a normal maximum group size of 12.
- An excellent, full colour student manual to use during the course and keep as a future reference on first aid.
- Up-to-date information presented in a relaxed learning environment.
- The opportunity to complete a course evaluation and register online with the WorkSafe website to activate automatic qualification expiry reminders and signup for industry related updates.
Successful candidates will be awarded a plastic qualification card on completion and receive a full colour A4 certificate awarded by WorkSafe Training Systems.
Course Duration: 2 Days (minimum 12 contact hours)
Course dates do not have to be consecutive